Australia, the wonder down-under is an ideal honeymoon destination for newlyweds. It encompasses nature, adventure, historical monuments, white sand beaches, exotic islands and beautiful cities. The city gives the right vibe for newlyweds to kick start their new life and make lifelong memories.
Best time to visit: While the southern hubs of Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney are at their best in summer from December to January, the Northern Australian cities of Darwin and Alice Springs are perfect in the dry season from June to August. Make sure you plan your trip keeping in mind what you and your better half are looking forward to seeing and doing to make the most of your trip.
Here is a list of top things to do while in Australia and the best time to experience them at:
1) Experience the wilderness at a Natural Park in Tasmania
Nature’s paradise protected by reserves and parks, Tasmania offers complete peace to newlyweds. With romantic resorts offering spa packages, access to private beaches, secluded cottages and ocean-view suits, a Tasmanian vacation sets the stage for a lifetime of romance.
Things to do:
- Go on a road trip staring at the dock in Davenport, and driving to Stanley- Cradle Mountain-Strahan-Hobart- Freycinet National Park- Launceston and Tamar Valley, and then enjoy a leisurely drive back to Daveport. A 7 day trip, it will take you through the best experiences Tasmania has to offer
- Book a private catamaran tour at Coles bay and get up and personal with dolphins, whales, fur seals, and albatross birds as you enjoy panoramic views of the imposing cliffs along the coastline
- Indulge your need for speed with a guided bike ride and experience the exhilaration of speeding down Hobart’s best-known Landmark, Mount Wellington
- Live your own fairytale with a horseback ride through pristine beaches, rolling plains and fragrant forests in the Otway National Park
- Be introduced to the flavours of Tasmania as you sip the best wines, tuck into local cheese, seafood and ham, and sample the offerings of the neighbourhood chocolatier
Best time to visit: The best period to visit Hobart is from December to February.
2) Be thrilled at vibrant Melbourne city
Popularly known as the Bar capital of Australia, Melbourne is the best place for those who love live music, but there is much more to the city than late night revelry. A honeymoon in Melbourne takes you for a trip to the clouds (quite literally)
Things to do:
- Marvel at the 12 Apostles– limestone stacks standing proudly in the sea
- Book a day trip which offers a snapshot of Melbourne, all in one day
- Go for an adventure under the sea at the Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium
- Change how you view the city with a trip to the Sky-deck Observatory
Best time to visit: November to March and May to August are the best time to plan a honeymoon trip to Melbourne.
Besides these two destinations, Australia has several memorable experiences for couples to savour.
3) Discover the best Wineries in Yarra Valley
Australia is the 7th largest wine producer in the world, and many of the vineyards provide guided winery tours, wine blending sessions and tutored wine tasting sessions, and the Yarra Valley in Victoria is home to some of the best vineyards in Australia.
Things to do:
- Take your love on a hot-air balloon ride and enjoy a panoramic view of the city from the balloon-basket
- Enjoy a romantic date-night on a Yarra River-cruise in a Gondola
- Sample the local Shiraz wine that is one of Australia’s most popular exports to the world.
Best time to visit: The best time to visit Yarra Valley is in March and November. If you want to participate in the Grape Grazing Festival, do book your trip in March.
4) Cruise along the Great Ocean Road
A 250 KM stretch on the South-eastern coast of the Victorian state of Australia is around 200 KM’s from Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road is the perfect place for a romantic getaway. Besides offering a feeling of freedom, a drive down this winding path also takes you back in history. The Great Ocean Road has the distinction of being the largest war memorial in the world. Make sure you bring a good camera along as you can capture some spectacular shots of the majestic Pacific Ocean.
Things to do:
- Experience the thrill of spotting a whale emerge from the mysterious deep
- Take a helicopter ride over the 12 Apostles to soak in the panoramic views
- Enjoy a day-hike along picturesque trails with your partner
Best time to visit: The drive on this road is pleasant at all times during the year.
5) Fall in love with the penguins at the Penguin Parade in Philip Islands
Philip Islands is the only venue in the world that allows tourists to experience the lifestyle of Penguins first hand. Located at a distance of 140 Km from Melbourne, one can watch families of penguins come home at the beach after dusk.
Things to do: Visit the Penguin parade visitor center to learn more about penguins and buy a souvenir which reminds you of these tuxedo-ed creatures.
Best time to Visit: The Island is open from mid-September to early June. Remember that taking photographs of the penguins is prohibited.
6) Dive into the Great Barrier Reef
A UNESCO World Heritage site and the largest coral reef system in the world, The Great Barrier Reef is home to countless species of marine life. Explore a new world together as you swim, snorkel or scuba dive to touch and witness the reef first hand. If you would rather stay dry, fly in a sea plane or sail over the reef to view the scintillating scenery from up above.
Things to do: You can also visit Cairns, known as the gateway to the reef or hop on to Hamilton Island, famous for sighting Koalas, Kangaroos, Wallabies and Kookaburras up close. If you want a slice of adventure, go on a scuba diving or snorkelling trip to the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns
Best time to visit: Visit Great Barrier Reef between June and October.
7) Enjoy a romantic dinner at Sydney Harbour
Overlooking the Opera house and Sydney Harbour Bridge is one of the most iconic locations in Australia. The Harbour area is filled with eateries and fine dining restaurants. Restaurants such as Aqua Dining, The Deck Sydney and Pier One Sydney Harbour are some of the signature restaurants that offer great food along with a great view of the Harbour.
Things to do: Visit the Sydney Opera House and attend a show if possible. It is an unforgettable experience at one of the most famous architectural structures in the world.
Best time to visit: Any time of the year is perfect to visit Sydney.
8) Hop high with the national animal of Australia– at Kangaroo Island
Situated in South Australia, Kangaroo Island is the third largest island in the country and home to a healthy wildlife population that consists not only of Kangaroos but also Tammar Wallabies, Goannas, Koalas, Echidnas and Australian fur seals. The island is most accessible from Adelaide, and it takes 25 minutes by flight and 2.5 hours by a ferry to reach the island.
Things to do: The Island is the World’s only sanctuary for Ligurian bees, so make sure you don’t miss them.
Best time to visit: Any time of the year!
Australia has surprises in store for you at every corner. A country where love is in the air, Australia is a perfect destination for the newlyweds to seal their bond and create memories for a lifetime.